Children are the most precious gift from God to not only parents but also society as a whole. They brighten our life and bring hopes to our society. They are indispensable and irreplaceable. It is so sad that the world we live in is no longer safe for our children.
As charity begins at home, parents must exercise greater responsibility for the safety of their children. Parents must exercise their role as first line protector to their children.
1) Parents need to keep a closer watch on their children, irrespective of where they are, especially when they are outside their homes, at playgrounds or elsewhere.
1) Parents must shed kampong mentality hoping that there will always be people around that may be aware, keep an eye or concern if something happened to their children.
2) Parents must realize that this world that their children live in is not as safe as 20, 30 years ago when they grow up.
3) Parents must also realize that due to their playful nature, elder children can never be capable to provide adequate parental supervision to their younger siblings.
4) Therefore parents must not empower their elder child to supervise his/her younger siblings.
Schools should also play an important role to teach children to be safety conscious.